Skip to main content
Car Accident

How a New Orleans bicycle accident attorney can help you following a bicycle accident

By Kiefer & KieferJanuary 12, 2022August 14th, 2023No Comments

Bicycle use is on the rise in New Orleans.  New Orleans adopted a Complete Streets ordinance in 2011.  As we have all seen, since that time, the City has more than doubled its bicycle lanes.  Blue Bikes is a bike share program that has recently launched in New Orleans, and the City has completed construction the Lafitte Greenway, making the use of bicycles for transport even more prevalent.

The unfortunate downside to this is that we have more and more clients that are injured while using their bicycle in bicycle accidents and contact a New Orleans bicycle accident lawyer for guidance navigating how to make a claim for their damages.

What are the laws that apply to a New Orleans bicycle accident?

In general, New Orleans bicyclists are held to the same laws that apply to motorists. New Orleans updated its bicycle laws in 2017.

A good read on Louisiana Bike Laws can also be found here:

What Should I do following a New Orleans bicycle accident?

  1. Call the police
  2. Seek medical attention
  3. Take Photographs of your injuries, of the bicycle accident scene, the other vehicle, and the roadway
  4. Take photographs of your injuries
  5. Gather the names and contact information of any witness who may have seen the accident
  6. Contact an experienced New Orleans bicycle accident attorney

Why is it important to contact a New Orleans bicycle accident lawyer following an accident?

First, your New Orleans bicycle accident lawyer will be able to conduct an investigation into whether there is any insurance that may cover your injuries following the bicycle accident. Although each case needs specific scrutiny, generally, if the bicycle accident is the fault of the other driver, in whole or in part, you can make a claim against them or their insurance or the insurance on the vehicle.

This is true even if you were partially at fault in causing the accident.  If the other driver or the owner of the vehicle do not have insurance or are under-insured, meaning that they do not have enough insurance to cover your injuries, you may be able to make a claim under your own insurance under your UM/UIM coverage even if you were riding your bicycle during the bicycle accident and not driving your car.

This may even apply if the driver flees the scene of the accident and you are unable to identify him or her.  Additionally, your policy may provide for coverage to pay your medical bills even if you are at fault for the accident.

Secondly, It is important to consult a New Orleans bicycle accident lawyer soon after your accident so that she may investigate your case and preserve evidence before it disappears. She may obtain the police report from the bicycle accident, interview witnesses who may have witnessed the bicycle accident, and try to obtain video footage from surveillance cameras, crime cameras, or police cameras that may have captured the bicycle accident. She may even conduct a scene investigation and hire a bicycle accident expert. An experienced New Orleans bicycle accident lawyer will be able to perform this investigation immediately. Additionally, she will be able to shield you from the insurance company, who may attempt to resolve your claim early, before you know the extent of your injuries, and for the lowest amount possible.

If you are involved in a bicycle accident in Metairie or New Orleans, it is important to consult with an experienced Metairie bicycle accident lawyer or a New Orleans bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Give us a call for a free consultation on how we can assist you with this claim.If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, we provide a free evaluation of your possible claim.

– Megan C. Kiefer is a partner and trial lawyer at Kiefer & Kiefer, who specializes in New Orleans bicycle accident injury litigation and has handled many bicycle accident cases.

This is being provided for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice.

Skip to content