Medical Malpractice Lawyer New Orleans, LA
Our New Orleans, LA medical malpractice lawyer understands the impacts medical malpractice has on the lives of countless individuals and families every year. When healthcare providers deviate from the accepted standard of care, it can lead to devastating consequences for patients. From misdiagnoses and surgical errors to medication mistakes and birth injuries, medical malpractice can result in serious injuries, prolonged suffering, and, tragically, even loss of life.
Table Of Contents
- Understanding Medical Malpractice In Louisiana
- How A Medical Malpractice Attorney Can Help
- Kiefer & Kiefer: Compassionate And Tenacious Representation
- Contact Kiefer & Kiefer Medical Malpractice Lawyers Today
- Trusted Medical Malpractice Lawyer In New Orleans, LA: Advocates For Your Rights
- Medical Malpractice Infographic
- Common Causes Of Medical Malpractice
At Kiefer & Kiefer, we understand the profound effects medical malpractice can have on people’s lives. We have been proudly serving the New Orleans community for three generations, providing compassionate and effective legal representation for those who have been victims of medical malpractice. Our experienced team of attorneys is committed to providing compassionate and tenacious representation and helping our clients seek justice and fair compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial hardships they have endured.
Understanding Medical Malpractice in Louisiana
Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare provider deviates from the accepted standard of care, leading to injury, harm, or even death.
It can encompass a wide range of issues, including misdiagnosis, surgical errors, medication mistakes, birth injuries, and more. Such cases are complex and require dedicated legal guidance from experienced medical malpractice attorneys to navigate the intricacies of medical and legal aspects.
How a Medical Malpractice Attorney Can Help
If you or a loved one has been a victim of medical malpractice, seeking the counsel of a skilled Louisiana attorney is vital.
Our New Orleans team of attorneys has a deep understanding of medical malpractice laws and a successful track record in representing clients against negligent healthcare providers. We will thoroughly investigate your case, consult with medical experts, and build a strong argument on your behalf to seek fair compensation for the damages you have endured.
Kiefer & Kiefer: Compassionate and Tenacious Representation
At Kiefer & Kiefer, we recognize the emotional toll medical malpractice cases can take on victims and their families. Our attorneys approach each case with empathy and sensitivity while maintaining a tenacious pursuit of justice.
We are committed to providing personalized attention, keeping you informed throughout the legal process, and advocating for your best interests every step of the way.
Medical malpractice can result in life-altering consequences, from significant medical expenses to long-term physical and emotional hardships. Our goal is to secure the compensation you deserve to cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages resulting from the negligence. Trust our team to help you hold negligent parties accountable and fight for your future well-being.
Contact Kiefer & Kiefer Medical Malpractice Lawyers Today
If you believe you or a loved one has been a victim of medical malpractice in New Orleans, don’t hesitate to reach out to Kiefer & Kiefer for a confidential consultation. Our compassionate and skilled attorneys will listen to your story, evaluate your case, and provide guidance on the best course of action. Let our three generations of experience work for you as we strive to secure the justice and compensation you deserve. Contact our New Orleans medical malpractice lawyer today to begin your journey toward recovery and resolution.
Trusted Medical Malpractice Lawyer in New Orleans, LA: Advocates for Your Rights
Your Compassionate Legal Support in New Orleans
Dealing with an injury caused by a doctor’s negligence means you have the legal right to hold them accountable, but, in doing so, you may need help from a New Orleans, LA medical malpractice lawyer. At Kiefer & Kiefer, we are your dedicated legal advocates, committed to safeguarding your rights and pursuing justice on your behalf.
Understanding Medical Malpractice Cases
Medical malpractice cases revolve around instances where a healthcare provider’s negligence or substandard care leads to patient harm or injury. Medical errors can happen due to a person’s negligence, and you have the legal right to pursue compensation when such negligence causes problems for you or your loved ones.
The Role of a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
A medical malpractice lawyer plays a pivotal role in helping you navigate the complexities of your case. An experienced New Orleans medical malpractice lawyer can help with the following:
- Investigate Your Claim: We conduct a thorough investigation of your claim, including reviewing medical records, consulting with experts, and determining liability.
- Negotiate on Your Behalf: We engage in negotiations with insurance companies and healthcare providers to secure a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, lost income, and other damages.
- Offer Litigation Expertise: While most medical malpractice cases are solved outside of the courtroom, sometimes it’s necessary to take a case to trial, but our attorneys are willing to do so.
Types of Compensation in Medical Malpractice Cases
Compensation in medical malpractice cases can cover various losses, including:
- Medical Expenses: This includes all current and future medical bills related to the malpractice, such as hospital stays, surgeries, medications, and rehabilitation.
- Lost Income: If your injuries prevent you from working, you may be eligible to seek compensation for lost wages, including future earning potential.
- Pain and Suffering: You or your loved one may suffer from pain and suffering or emotional distress following a medical malpractice case.
- Additional Damages: Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be eligible for compensation for loss of consortium, loss of enjoyment of life, and punitive damages.
Medical Malpractice Infographic
Determining Liability in Medical Malpractice Cases
Establishing liability in medical malpractice cases involves proving that a healthcare provider’s actions or omissions deviated from the standard of care, resulting in patient harm. The process for determining liability often includes the following:
- Doctor-Patient Relationship: A doctor-patient relationship existed, establishing a duty of care.
- Breach of Standard of Care: The healthcare provider breached the standard of care through negligence, errors, or substandard treatment.
- Causation: The breach of the standard of care directly caused patient harm or injury.
If you’ve been a victim of medical malpractice in New Orleans, LA, it’s essential to seek legal guidance promptly. Contact Kiefer & Kiefer today to schedule a consultation with our experienced medical malpractice lawyers. We are here to provide you with unwavering support, protect your rights, and help you pursue the compensation and justice you rightfully deserve. Reach out to us today to work with a New Orleans medical malpractice lawyer!
Common Causes Of Medical Malpractice
As a New Orleans, LA medical malpractice lawyer knows, medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare provider’s negligence or omission of the standard of care leads to harm or injury to a patient. While there are various forms of medical malpractice, some are more common than others. Here are five of the most common types of medical malpractice:
Misdiagnosis Or Delayed Diagnosis
Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis is one of the most prevalent forms of medical malpractice. It occurs when a healthcare provider fails to correctly diagnose a medical condition or takes an unusually long time to arrive at the correct diagnosis. This can have serious consequences, as patients may receive inappropriate treatment, or their condition may worsen during the delay.
Common examples include misdiagnosing cancer, heart disease, infections, or other serious illnesses. Delayed diagnosis can lead to missed treatment opportunities, reduced chances of recovery, and even fatal outcomes. Medical professionals are expected to use their knowledge, training, and available diagnostic tools to make accurate and timely diagnoses.
Surgical errors encompass a wide range of mistakes that can occur during surgical procedures. These errors may be due to a surgeon’s negligence, a surgical team’s failure to communicate effectively, or equipment malfunctions. Common surgical errors include:
- Wrong-Site Surgery: Operating on the wrong body part or patient.
- Surgical Instruments Left Inside the Patient: Failing to account for all instruments and materials used during surgery.
- Anesthesia Errors: Administering incorrect dosages or failing to monitor the patient’s vital signs properly during surgery.
- Nerve Damage: Inadvertently damaging nerves during surgery, which can result in paralysis or loss of sensation.
- Postoperative Infections: Failing to maintain proper hygiene or causing contamination during surgery, leading to infections.
Medication errors occur when healthcare providers make mistakes related to prescribing, administering, or monitoring medications. A New Orleans medical malpractice lawyer understands that this type of malpractice can have serious consequences for patients. Examples of medication errors include:
- Incorrect Dosages: Administering medication at the wrong dose which can result in adverse reactions or inadequate treatment.
- Wrong Medication: Prescribing or administering the wrong medication to a patient.
- Drug Interactions: Failing to consider potential drug interactions when prescribing multiple medications to a patient.
- Failure to Monitor: Neglecting to monitor a patient’s response to medication or check for side effects.
Birth injuries occur during childbirth and can result from medical negligence. These injuries can affect both the mother and the newborn. Common birth injuries include:
- Cerebral Palsy: Brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation during labor and delivery.
- Erb’s Palsy: Nerve damage to the baby’s arm during delivery.
- Shoulder Dystocia: When a baby’s head becomes stuck behind the mother’s pelvic bone during delivery.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries: Damage to the nerves controlling the muscles of the arm, often due to excessive force during delivery.
Inadequate Informed Consent
Informed consent is a critical aspect of medical treatment. It involves healthcare providers explaining the risks, benefits, and alternatives of a particular procedure or treatment to the patient, who then provides their informed consent to proceed. Inadequate informed consent occurs when patients are not adequately informed about the potential risks or alternatives to a procedure, and they later experience complications or adverse effects they were not aware of.
Patients have the right to make informed decisions about their healthcare, and healthcare providers must ensure that patients are fully informed before obtaining their consent for any medical procedure or treatment.
When it comes to medical care, we all place our trust in healthcare professionals, but incidents can happen, sometimes requiring help from a New Orleans, LA medical malpractice lawyer. However, errors and negligence can occur, leading to medical malpractice cases. In New Orleans, Louisiana, Kiefer & Kiefer is dedicated to helping victims of medical malpractice seek justice and compensation for their suffering. To provide clarity on this complex area of law, we’ve compiled answers to some frequently asked questions related to medical malpractice in New Orleans.
- What is medical malpractice, and how does it apply in New Orleans, LA?
Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare provider’s negligence results in harm to a patient. In New Orleans, medical malpractice laws do hold healthcare professionals accountable for their actions and any negligence. To pursue a medical malpractice claim, you must show that the healthcare provider deviated from the standard of care, causing injury or harm.
- How do I know if I have a valid medical malpractice case in New Orleans, LA?
A valid medical malpractice case in New Orleans often includes these elements:
- Duty: The healthcare provider owed you a duty of care.
- Breach of Duty: The provider’s actions deviated from the standard of care.
- Causation: The breach of duty directly caused your injury.
- Damages: You suffered damages or harm due to the provider’s actions.
- Consulting a New Orleans medical malpractice lawyer at Kiefer & Kiefer can help you determine the strength of your case.
- What types of medical malpractice cases do you handle in New Orleans, LA?
Kiefer & Kiefer’s experienced medical malpractice lawyers in New Orleans handle a wide range of cases, including surgical errors, misdiagnoses, medication errors, birth injuries, and more. When you suspect that you’ve become a victim of medical malpractice, our legal team is here to help evaluate your case and provide any guidance on what you can expect next.
- Is there a time limit for filing a medical malpractice claim in New Orleans, LA?
Yes, there is a statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims in Louisiana. Generally, you have one year from the date of the malpractice incident or from the date you discovered or should have discovered the injury to file a claim. It’s essential to act promptly to protect your rights and preserve evidence. At Kiefer & Kiefer, we can handle all the specifics of your case, including the statute of limitations.
- What compensation can I pursue in a medical malpractice case in New Orleans, LA?
Victims of medical malpractice may be eligible for compensation that covers medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other related damages. The specific compensation varies based on the details of the case. At Kiefer & Kiefer, we always work hard to ensure that victims and their families can obtain the necessary compensation they deserve.
If you believe you’ve been a victim of medical malpractice in New Orleans, don’t hesitate to reach out to Kiefer & Kiefer for a comprehensive consultation. Our dedicated legal team is here to guide you through this challenging process and help you pursue justice. Your well-being is our priority, and we are committed to achieving the best possible outcome for your medical malpractice case. Contact us today to discuss your situation and take the first step toward resolution by working with a New Orleans medical malpractice lawyer.
Contact Our Law Firm For Legal Help
If you or a loved one has suffered injury due to medical negligence, a New Orleans medical malpractice lawyer can help you get the financial justice you deserve. Call Kiefer & Kiefer to schedule a free case evaluation.