Skip to main content
Accident Insurance Claims

Hit and runs and uninsured motorist insurance in New Orleans

By Kiefer & KieferJanuary 12, 2022June 8th, 2023No Comments

What do you do when you are injured in a car accident and the other party leaves the scene?

In Louisiana, when involved in a car accident, you are required to stop your vehicle, exchange information, and contact the police depending on the severity of the accident. Sometimes, this does not happen, and our clients are left wondering what their next steps are.

Contacting the police as well as reporting this matter to your insurance company can help to identify the other driver.   The police and your insurance company may work to attempt to locate the other driver.

You can help them by doing the following:

  • Write down all details about the vehicle that hit you, including make, model, color, license plate and any distinguishing characteristics such as signs, decals, or other damage.
  • Write down description of the driver and any passengers
  • Find any witnesses who saw the accident and obtain their contact information
  • Contact nearby businesses to determine whether any security cameras recorded the accident
  • Take pictures of the damage

In the event you or the police are not able to identify the hit and run driver, you may be able to recover from your insurance if you have uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, also known as UM/UIM insurance.

You need to report the accident to your insurer as soon as possible, particularly since some insurance policies have strict deadlines on notification of potential UM/UIM claims.

As with any accident, it is helpful to contact an attorney to help you navigate these complicated issues. If you are involved in a car accident in Metairie or New Orleans, it is important to consult with an experienced Metairie personal injury lawyer or a New Orleans personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

Give us a call for a free consultation on how we can assist you with this claim.We are happy to provide a free consultation if you have been injured in a hit and run accident.

– Amanda Gammon Morse is an associate at Kiefer & Kiefer

This is being provided for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice.

Skip to content